So, one beautiful morning when I had nothing to do (I lie. I had tons of work and was too bored to do it), I Googled the following query: writers are
Here’s what was listed in suggestions:
One positive thing: writers are engineers of the soul. Just one!
Now, you may have noticed that my blog’s name happens to be The “Writer’s” Nest. So this particular list of suggestions was almost a personal attack. Therefore, I’m going to go about busting (or not) these myths.
- Writers are crazy – I refuse to believe that only writers are. I think all of us have some amount of crazy within us. And I think it’s what keeps us going. Every one of us is a personal brand of weird.
- Writers are loners – Big lie. I don’t see any need to generalize. There are loners who are writers and there are writers who are loners. But then, there are also loners who are not writers and writers who are NOT loners. I know some personally. Case closed.
- Writers are weird – See 1.
- Writers are engineers of the soul – That’s a phrase used by Joseph Stalin. So does that bring down our tally of positive opinions to zero? No, we’ll consider it. 🙂
- Writers are liars – I don’t know how they even came up with that! Just because we tell stories? Give me a break here!
- Writers are introverts – See 2
- Writers are insane – Yes, we have a few writers who did go insane. But there are thousands of others who didn’t! It has nothing to do with writing.
- Writers are alcoholics – Yeah, and lawyers smoke too much! And chefs are addicted to coffee! And don’t even get me started on the teachers! You see where I’m going with this?
- Writers are forgetful – and my blog’s name was…umm…let me see now…the writer’s…umm…the writer’s …
- Writers are desperate people – Huh?
The engineers fared slightly better thankfully. Ah, Google! At least we share our love for engineering. 🙂
Have you people heard of silly myths about things that you love? Careers or interests?